Sunday, December 1, 2013

DIY Protein Balls


     If there's anything I hate, it's paying way too much for quality protein bars. For this reason and for the enjoyment of baking with my kids, I've started making my own. My dietitian, Samara Feleski-Hunt at The Downtown Sports Clinics gave me this fantastic recipe which doesn't just fulfill my nutritional needs but also saves me a ton of cash.
     Everyone I've given these to has raved about them and noted that they don't taste at all like protein bars, most have gone home and made some themselves. The biggest test was the passing grade I received from the three most discerning critics I know: Julia, Sam, and Adele!

Protein Balls
Per ball: Calories:166, Protein:10.5g, Carbs:20g, Fibre:2g, Fat: 5.5g, Sat.Fat1.5g

This recipe will make 40-45 balls. Store in a zip-lock bag in freezer. 
These freeze well and make for wicked healthy treats for kids and are great for Christmas parties.

5 cups whey isolate chocolate protein powder
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1 cup peanut or almond butter
1 cup honey
10 tsp flax oil
3 cups dried cranberries
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Combine whey protein and cocoa powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the nut butter, flax oil, and honey. Combine the two mixtures until well blended. Add the chopped cranberries. The consistency should be similar to play dough. If it seems too dry, add 1/4 cup of water or a little extra honey. If it seems too wet, add extra cocoa powder or protein. Form into bite size balls and roll in the coconut. Chill in the fridge for 15 min. and enjoy. The ingredients bellow will make 40-45 balls. 


No comments: